Wednesday, June 30, 2010

There is Always Enough

A few years ago, I had a dream about Heidi Baker. Heidi and her husband, Roland Baker have a massive ministry to literally thousands of orphans in Mozambique. If you are unfamiliar with Heidi and Roland Baker, I highly recommend you visit their website: http://www.irismin.org/p/background.php

Back to the dream, I had this dream that Heidi Baker was speaking at our church. In the dream, she was sharing that there wasn't enough money to feed the amount of orphans that they had. She wasn't sharing it out of a heart of desperation, she was just giving us an update. And then she went on to share that when she and her orphans experience a time of lack and when it doesn't seem that there is going to be enough, they consider it a Holy Fast unto the Lord. That there is joy in the midst of poverty because He is good.

The dream moves on, and people just start running to the front and giving anything that they have: watches, purses, money, clothes, etc. They put it all down this drain in the middle of the floor (I know it sounds odd). It begins to clog and overflow, so Heidi instructs them to get it all out. So they bring in this giant machine to suck it out of the ground. She tells everyone to watch because the Lord was going to show them that He is their provider. As they start to suck these things out of the ground, it instantly turns into Maize and it comes bursting out of the ground like a geyser and there was more than enough.

This dream has stuck with me over the years. When I come to a place of feeling like our finances our impossible, I always think of this dream. There are plenty of time that I feel like I want to beg and beg and beg God and simply wallow in my time of apparent lack. I want to pity myself, and then reprimand myself for not "doing" enough. The truth is, there is always room for improvement, but sulking about it won't get me anywhere. It reminds me of what the Israelite army did in facing Goliath- they just talked about him. The more they talked, the more they were afraid. And then, in walked David. He was sickened by what was being said about God and Goliath's portrayal of him. So he chose to face him dead on- and the army of people STILL wouldn't back him up. Why? Because all they believed him and could only see the reality of the situation-that he was greater than them. ALL of them let him face Goliath by himself. I sometimes get far too comfortable with just talking about my problems and letting them seem much bigger than me. Its really easy to listen to them tell me who they think God is. Yet, I know in my heart: there is always enough, and God is much bigger.

Jason Upton makes a good point in this song that he wrote:

There's a power in poverty that breaks principalities
And brings the authority's down to their knees
There's a brewing frustration and ageless temptation
To fight for control by some manipulation
But the God of the kingdoms and the God of the Nations
The God of creation sends His revelation
Through the homeless and penniless Jesus the son
The poor will inherit the Kingdom to come
Where will we turn when our world falls apart
And all of the treasures we've stored in our barns
Can't buy the Kingdom of God?
Who will we praise when we've praised all our lives
Men who build Kingdoms and men who build fame
Heaven does not know their name
What will we fear when all that remains
Is God on His throne, with a child in his arms,
And love in his eyes
And the sound of his heart cries

Where my soul feels lack, and my heart feels deprived; my spirit is rising up to face those giants.

There is always enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment